Bray to Greystones
The Cliff Walk, as it exists today, was developed in the 1840’s to provide access for materials and workers during construction of the railway link between Bray and Greystones. It is believed that a walkway along the cliff existed between Bray and Greystones from medieval times.
The coming of the railway between 1854 and 1856 placed both settlements within easy reach of Dublin city, and so led to the transformation of Bray and Greystones as fashionable resorts and desirable residential towns.
(Edited from http://www.thecliffwalk.ie/ )